Campfire Banana Boats
Who doesn’t love a good s’more? Our family loves s’mores, and we love to get creative with them! One of our favorites is banana boats. The kids love the marshmallows and chocolate that is typical of s’mores, and the adults like the variation offered by the banana. Adding a little fruit makes it healthy, right? Right.
Banana boats are so easy to make and delicious. Here’s how to create this tasty treat:
- Gather your ingredients - a basic banana boat contains a banana, marshmallows, and a few pieces of Hershey’s chocolate, but feel free to get creative with your toppings!
- Peel off one side of the banana peel, leaving the banana still in the peel with only one side visible.
- Cut the banana open from one end to the other. Don’t cut all of the way through the banana, just enough that you can squish your toppings into the open cut.
- Next, put all of your toppings into the cut of the banana. Mini marshmallows fit the best, but if you are using larger marshmallows just cut them into smaller pieces before putting them into the banana. You can use chocolate chips instead for an easier fit. If this is all of the toppings you want, you are ready to cook your banana boat in your fire. If you want to try something new, you can add some of those extra ingredients at this step. A few good ideas include butterscotch chips, Nutella, and peanut butter.
- After all of your toppings are in your banana, wrap the banana in aluminum foil, making sure it is well covered.
- Cook the aluminum foil-covered banana on hot coals for a few minutes. Flip it over part-way through to ensure both sides are cooked and melty.
- Take it out of the fire, unwrap the aluminum foil and the banana peel, and enjoy!
- Once the banana has been unwrapped, at this point you can add additional toppings. A few to try would be fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc.), whipped cream, and chocolate and caramel sundae sauce.
Let us know what you think of the banana boats and any additional topping ideas you have! Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest, and check out our website at happycamperplace.com.